Breakfast cookies are all the rage… but, frankly most of them are filled with total garbage. So, to help solve this conundrum in a simple yet easy and effective way, I came up with these tasty pumpkin spice breakfast cookies that are gluten free, (mostly) guilt free, and truly satisfying.
On the whole I’m not really a proponent of eating cookies for breakfast, but because it’s such a trendy thing to do (and convenient) – let’s talk about the key components of a great breakfast cookie. When I think of things that are key for making this breakfast cookie worthwhile, there are a few major things to both include and exclude.
Things to look for in a breakfast cookie:
- Healthy fat (nuts, nut butter, seeds)
- Protein (protein powder, OR have something with protein in it alongside your breakfast cookie- like an egg for example)
- Fiber (oats, nuts, seeds, coconut shreds will do this)
Things to avoid in a breakfast cookie:
- Artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols (xylitol, mannitol, erythritol or sucralose, aspartame)
- Any syrup besides honey and maple syrup
- Inulin (a fiber source that’s often used but can give you gas)
- Ingredients you can’t pronounce
These cookies are great for breakfast, but also can be used to have as a snack or dessert as well.